Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Max montage

This will be a random post, something to assuage my guilt for not writing more.  I'm at a loss for themes so here's a rundown of what's been happening.

1) Max started talking.  This is a pretty big deal.  We've been waiting and waiting and now words are starting to come out.  Standards such as ball, down, dog (he actually does a pretty damn good downward dog) and others like tiger, bee, baby and "inu" - Japanese for dog.

2) We have been scouting out book/toy stores that have "samples" and play areas to pass the time.  Here Max has shed his shoes per the usual instructions.

3) Max is fascinated with fish and can stare for hours at the big tank in our lobby.  We had a great time checking out the fish at the pet shop on the roof-top of Matsuya, a department store in Ginza.  I'll be getting him his very own goldfish soon.

4) We are still enjoying Starbucks and the Azuki Scone.

5) I accidentally gave Max peanuts and he survived.  (They were inside a rice cracker.)

6) We are still enjoying playgrounds.  Here, Max is playing in the sand, oblivious of the children around him - kids in the green caps are part of a school and he is using their sand toys.

7) In addition to French, Australian, Irish, British and Hungarian friends, Max and I are making Japanese friends as well.  

8) Max is eating better.  Onigiri - sticky rice molded into triangles or round discs - is proving to be a hit.  He sometimes allows me to feed him with chopsticks.  Corn was also a recent big hit.


9) And finally, Max got a spikey new haircut from new friend Monisha, who is a stylist.

5 comments:

Reba said...

Get him a betta fish, not a goldfish. They last longer.

The haircut is cute.

Colin is currently naked from the bottom down in the living room sucking his toes pretending he's "baby Max." Strange kid.

Great news on the peanuts!

Magda said...

I love the haircut! I also loved how Max inegrated himself in the sandbox among the class -- how funny!

Carrie said...

integrated into the classroom or taking over the sandbox! hah. he sure isn't me at his age, where the picture of me at the sandbox was me outside, while everyone else was playing

and that haircut! he's become a beatle/japanese boy-band model. you should see about any jobs for him on the side. he is toooo adorable!

i don't know what else to say but seeing these pictures made me feel all warm inside. how I miss my nephew!

Mike said...

Heather -

Awesome entry. Glad to see that you are adjusting and enjoying! Best of luck. Hope to meet you when we travel to Tokyo.

Mike Kasdan (Ilena's husband) from Maplewood

(www.kasdanfamily.blogspot.com)

Apuch said...

I love seeing Max and reading about his activities even tho I am kinda reading these backwards to catch up. Some of the videos were no longer available btw. When max is spending a long time watching the fish in the lobby what do you do? It looks like Max is very happy and getting along quite well with the other children. So nice to see.