Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ikebana anyone?

Hi everyone.  Boy, I have been pathetic in my posting lately.  My "giant buddha" post is still in draft form so I thought I'd show you all my latest ikebana masterpiece.

I've taken three classes so far and each time the teacher practically redoes the whole thing but I am getting there.  I am only doing the most elementary of forms.  This is elementary form style B.  These creations are studies of assymetry, empty space, dialogue between the plants and flowers, geometry (lots of angles), and of course beauty.  The class I am taking is very low key.  We meet at someone's home and the instructor comes over to teach.  There are four of us.  As we snip and struggle with the stems our kids play together.  So it's pretty relaxing.  I've been instructed to get a container of my own and some good scissors - "You must spend at least 3,000 yen," says the instructor.   She also recommends getting a black container in a matte finish.  I will also need to buy one of the spikey needle rectangles that you jam the flower stems into.  These things are extremely heavy and sharp enough to be lethal.  So when I get around to finding out where to buy these things, I think I'll go for it. 

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Heather, what the heck is Ikebana??? Sounds very strange. like flower + plant arranging combined????

Heather said...

yes, my dear. Flower arranging.

Unknown said...

Hi Heather, So nice to catch up with you and the family! I love your blog...