Friday, April 4, 2008

Sakura

Last weekend was probably the peak of Cherry Blossom season here in Tokyo.  The weather was a bit overcast on Sunday but Max, Rich and I ventured out to the Nakameguro neighborhood to see the cherry blossoms along the river.  Well the river turned out to be more of a canal.  Still, it was lovely and fun to be amidst the many Japanese visitors snapping pictures of the blossoms.  



On Saturday, we visited a cemetery known for its blossoms.  For my own personal reasons, I was more impacted (positively) by being in a cemetery than by the beautiful blossoms.  It was interesting to see a mix of Japanese and Western headstones and markers. 
 
Overall, both Rich and I agree that the blossoms are beautiful but perhaps our expectations were so high that we are kind of wondering what all the fuss is all about.  Granted, we didn't manage to get to one of the larger parks packed with drunken revelers hailing the coming of spring.
Still, it's a welcome sign that warmer weather is ahead. 

1 comment:

Apuch said...

I remember going to DC to see the Cherry Blossoms when I was young and living in New Jersey. I thought they were pretty especially when the wind blew snd the petals would rain down. The trees in DC were actually donated to America by Japan. I think in Japan there is just a different kind of appreciation for that kind of beauty which goes along with Spring. I do not really understand it but I have not looked into it or asked any of my Japanese friends about it. Anyway, I do like them and I generally like the tranquil quality of cemetaries.