Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bali

We had a great trip to Bali, flying out of Tokyo on June 7th direct to Denpasar.  Max was very excited to be going on a "jet" and repeated the word over and over throughout the preparation and duration of our trip.  We stayed at the Westin Resort in Nusa Dua for five nights and then took a car up to Ubud, where I had visited Carrie 11 years ago.  God, that made me feel old.  The Balinese are so nice of course that they tell you you look 20 when you're 40.

As expected, the resort was, well, a resort - a contained world insulated from the outside. With a small child, this was ideal as we could easily wander from our room to the pool to the beach to the restaurants to the playground to the spa and loungy areas. 

The pool was a big hit and Max enjoyed the beach, too. He was particularly taken with what he called the "bells". This was the metal gamelon music, of which we heard a lot of. Every evening there was a traditional procession with music and traditional dress. We also saw lots of dancing. We also took a half-day trip to a safari/zoo where we had our photos taken with an orangutan and baby tiger.

The drive up to Ubud took us to two towns known for their crafts - Celuk for its silver crafts and Mas for wood carvings and masks.  Here's Max in the town of Mas trying out the bamboo gamelon, his new favorite instrument.

Our hotel in Ubud was an oasis from the busy streets, crowded shops and noisy motorcycles. I think we finally mastered the art of relaxing there.


From Ubud, we also took a drive out to see the rice fields and some great views of the surrounding valley.  
Of course traveling with a two-year old isn't a piece of cake but despite a couple of nights of lousy sleep, early morning wake-ups, nervous car rides with him sitting on our laps, mealtime antics, and a very challenging plane ride back, it was definitely worth it. 

5 comments:

Apuch said...

Amy and I loved all of these photos. They are soo cute and I loved the one of the orangutan looking in Rich's pocket. Max always looks so cute. I will try to check out all of your other posts and say something on some of them at least :-). Amy is hoping to set up a blog for the Night Kitchen. I am looking into this blog format that you use and since I will have to manage it I just want to make sure it will work for all she wants to write about i.e. gardening, organics, environment, baking, cooking, recycling, etc. Anyway, so glad to be able to find your site more easily now. Later, John and Amy

DoulaMomma said...

damn - I just wrote a long comment & then lost it. read your whole blog & love it - will check in soon!

xo
kim

DoulaMomma said...

You inspired me - after reading your blog yesterday, I finally created one, something I've been meaning to do for a long time.

http://doulamomma.blogspot.com/

I like to your blog, which is so great.

best,
Kim

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are! I'm glad that you're taking full advantage of being over there. And I didn't know that your sis was there...something to talk about when I see her again.

Heather said...

Colleen,
Shoot me an email sometime. I want to hear how you are doing. I'm back July 12th and will be back and forth between Maplewood and Metuchen for the summer.