Thursday, September 4, 2008

The novelty has worn off

With school starting for Max this week and Rich back into the swing of things at work, life is returning to normal. And that's just it. Normal.

The novelty of the first six months is gone. The excitement of the surroundings, the vast expanse of lights and sprawl that is Tokyo, the fascinating language and mysterious culture, my growing international community of friends, and general climate of discovery are all old hat.

What I am left with is a growing list of pet peeves.
- The sirens are driving me crazy
- My kitchen is way too small and I don't have enough equipment to really cook
- I'm tired of not being able to read food labels
- I miss my family
- I miss readily available vegetarian food
- I miss the independence of driving
- I am so over Roppongi nightlife
- It's HOT




2 comments:

Apuch said...

^_^
This phase too will pass Heather.
We miss you as well but are excited that you, Max and Rich have this experience. I would love to live in a foreign place for a while. I am sure that when you are back you will miss Japan and remember the good and forget the little annoyances. Memory is like that. Kinda like remembering that fabulous noodle soup but forgetting how much you payed for it.

Reba said...

We know, and what you said is true, but just think, you get to miss watching this presidential election CLOSEUP