Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day one: Highlights

I'll mention that the white glove service continued as we checked into our temporary corporate apartment in Akasaka.  The person at the front desk nearly outdid himself welcoming us and helping us with our bags and getting us settled into our apartment.  I was beginning to like this strange new country...


We passed our first evening in the apartment figuring out the heating system - eachroom has a ceiling mounted forced air heater/AC unit operated by remote control, watching TV and eating cornflakes.  Max and I crashed by 8PM and were back up again at 3AM.  So we played... and I ate more cornflakes.  Rich took over with Max and I went back to sleep from about 4:30-6:30. And that was the beginning of our first full day in Tokyo.

It rained/snowed throughout the day.  This photo on the right was taken in Azabu-juban as we walked up to Roppongi Hills to see our new apartment.

Other highlights of the day
1) Max's three hour nap
2) The local pita shop run by an Israeli with a penchant for Guns n' Roses.  When I ventured in to buy falafel for lunch I was greeted by "Welcome to the Jungle".  I felt like I was back in high school art class with the stoners.
3) Heated floors and toilet seats
4) Finally seeing our future apartment and Max running gleefully around in it
     ....the photo below is Max in our new apartment with a frighteningly modern phone/intercom touchscreen thing


2 comments:

Reba said...

Hey! I get to be the first one to leave a comment! Cool!
The apartment looks very nice.
Remember what Carlin said - a house is a place for your stuff with a cover on it.
We are all sick here now. Hope you have escaped that...

Heather said...

The apartment does look great. We are dying to move in but have to wait for Rich's Visa. Now they are saying it's another two weeks. Arghhh... Still, our corporate apartment is nice, too.