Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Eat more greens

I have found heaven in Azabu Juban.  It's a place called Eat More Greens.  Rich actually found it. Since we've been together, he has developed vegetarian radar and always has his eye out for places that will accommodate me.    

This past weekend, we headed there for lunch and to my delight, Max chowed down on the black rice with black soybeans.  I am now on a mission to recreate this dish.  I boldly asked for the recipe and it is actually available, in Japanese of course.


Even a scan on the internet didn't turn up a recipe that seemed to resemble the dish.  So I will continue on my quest.  There is a big bookstore near our future apartment and a new friend has recommended two Japanese cookbooks, including one by the Martha Stewart of Japan,  so I'll check those out when I get the chance.

In case you were wondering, here's what I found out about black rice on the internet:

Asians have been eating black rice for over 3000 years, particularly in China. Black rice was rare and high in nutrition; only people in the Imperial family were allowed to eat it. (History of kurokome/black rice). Black rice is rich in anthocyanin which are important to suppresses oxidation in the body, and these benefits are not found in white rice. Black rice also contains more vitamin B, niacin, vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc than white rice. Today, black rice is widely available and you don’t have to be an Imperial family member to enjoy it. 

Auntie Julia, Max wants to tell you that we can Eat More Greens everyday when you come to visit!

2 comments:

Reba said...

I will find it very entertaining to watch Colin's old favorite clothes on display in Tokyo!

Perhaps in turn you can develop "food allergy radar" and start inquiring of friends and restaurant owners about our visiting possibilities!

I think Lundberg sells a black rice here but I am sure it must be different....

Apuch said...

I enjoy black rice from time to time. I buy it when I see it but generally do not seek it out. Tampopo is a fun movie about a woman who loses her husband and must learn her noodle soup business to keep afloat. Two good hearted characters help her. The noodle dish is one of my favorites in the Japanese repertoire.