Thursday, February 19, 2009

Guitar lessons

I bought a guitar last weekend and had a lesson on Wednesday.  It was a trial lesson.  The teacher is Japanese but his English is pretty good.  I have to decide if I'll commit to 5 lessons with this guy and then see how that goes.  Since I have totally boring taste, I'll probably be working on some folk tunes a la Simon and Garfunkel although the teacher has suggested some Bob Marley and seems to be into blues.

I bought an acoustic guitar in a part of Tokyo called Ochanomizu (it means tea water).  It's a fun place to visit as the main street is lined with music and instrument shops.  You can also get some good deals there.  According to a website I found, it's where "broke-ass students" go to buy a guitar.


Turns out you can download a lot of the chord scores on the internet for free but my main challenge will be finding some sheet music that I can master. Rich and I found a place in Shibuya by accident the other weekend that had a good selection.  The difficult part is that all the artist names are written in Katakana and, well, I've got some more studying to do in that department.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.guitarnotes.com/

Great resource!

TW

Mike said...

Good luck!! I took guitar lessons during my 3rd year of Law School. I suck, but I loved it. Unfortunately, I left my guitar back home for the year (and a half)