Friday, May 23, 2008

The home stretch

Max has been sick since last weekend and was diagnosed with strep throat on Tuesday.  It's Friday afternoon as I write and I am hoping that the both of us have turned a corner and are on our way to feeling good again.   It's been seven straight nights of painfully interrupted sleep for all of us.  Rich has been on the sofa bed since Sunday as Max has ended up in bed with me.  Thus I have been tortured by coughing spells, perpendicular sleeping, and inconsolable cries in the night for Elmo.  Poor Max has not eaten much since Saturday (except milk) and I am going nuts worrying about his weight and nutrition.

Max has an English speaking pediatrician who went to school in the US. (I believe he is Korean.) When we went to see Dr. Che, he took a look at my throat too but said it didn't look like strep. 

I suppose like many kids Max hates taking any medicine.  Giving him any sort of medication requires a vice grip and then I have to essentially lock his head in my armpit.  (I am doing this solo as Rich has been out for the past three nights.)  ((This is not a criticism, just a fact.))

Last night he only woke up once.  The fever has abated and he has started eating again, or should I say nibbling.  Six more days of antibiotics left.  I'm hoping he will be able to go to school next week and that he'll be better by next Friday - - - his BIRTHDAY  - - - knock on wood.  Being healthy again will definitely be something to celebrate.  So will being able to see our friends and have a social life once more.  

 

1 comment:

Apuch said...

This sounds horrible. Amy has been sick three times this year and one of them was a soar throat that the doctor said was not strep. I did not have to use such methods of giving Amy medicine tho :-). One theory was acid reflux that was giving Amy a soar throat. That seemed to fit in with her anxious life of a business owner but it would not make sense for Max. I hope he is fully recovered and having fun again. Same for you Mom.